Thursday, April 24, 2008

DVD Review: Water Horse, Legend of the Deep

Critics Rating (According to movies.yahoo.com): B-
My Rating: A+

The first thing I want to say about this movie is that the scenery was beautiful. The movie is set in Scotland during WWII, I don’t know if it was actually filmed in Scotland but the scenery was gorgeous.

A brief synopsis: The movie centers around a young boy named Angus, who seems a bit lonely and somewhat distressed over the fact that his father is away at the war. His family’s home gets taken over by English soldiers preparing to fight off the enemy. Angus finds the egg and cares for it. The egg, of course, hatches into a water horse, which is said to be the rarest of all creatures. (The legend of this “water horse” of course is derived from the Loch Ness monster story). I don’t want to give away too much here, for those who want to see it without already having heard the minute details.

I do want to say that the latter part of the movie has some moments that could come across as scary or violent--at least they might to some children. My six-year-old wasn’t frightened or bothered in the least by any of it, nor was a class-mate of hers I talked to. In fact, they both seemed to love and enjoy the film immensely. However, if your child tends to get frightened by movies, you may want to screen it yourself first and use your own judgment.

I also want to mention that our local Wal-Mart has a DVD package that includes a miniature stuffed water horse with the movie (the set was priced at $19.99), which my daughter and her school friend both got very excited about. They both carry their little water horse around with them; Jayde took hers everywhere she went this weekend, her friend carried hers to school in a tiny purse today. In my book, it’s always a plus to get something extra when purchasing a DVD.

All in all I would say I absolutely adored this movie. It had some funny elements to give you a chuckle, and it had moments to pull at your heart strings as well (yes, I even teared up just a little bit at one point). It’s basically an all around feel good movie with delightful special effects and a charming storyline.

Feel free to leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on this film!

Take care and come back,

Amanda


Based outside of Lexington, Kentucky, Amanda Holbrook wears many hats, including mother, wife, freelance writer, Tastefully Simple consultant, accounting assistant and more! She hopes to publish a fiction novel one day. Her blogs include parenting topics, and family-friendly book & movie reviews. She is a frequent guest blogger on Sew Cute’s blog. Visit her site at www.tastefullysimple.com/web/aholbrook

No comments: